Cherry Good Chutneys and Sauces
Hot n’ Spicy Cherry Ketchup
Try this festive cherry ketchup to accompany your Christmas treats.
Cooking Time: 1 hour, 55 minutes
- 1 small red chilli
- 1 tsp whole mustard seeds
- 4 green peppercorns
- 6 whole allspice berries
- 1 whole nutmeg, cracked
- 2 lb cherries, stoned
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp Cherry Good Original
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground mace
- ¼ tsp salt
- Place the chilli, mustard seeds, peppercorns, allspice berries and nutmeg in the centre of a double-layer square of muslin*. Bring corners up and tie into a bag. Set aside.
*If you do not have any muslin simply put the spices in the pan and follow the rest of the recipe. When cooked you’ll need to pass the sauce through a sieve to remove the spice busks instead of blitzing in a processor.
- Place cherries, wine vinegar, Cherry Good Original, brown sugar, mace and salt in a pan. Add the spice bag.
- Bring to the boil over a high heat, before reducing and simmering for 10 to 15 minutes until cherries have softened.
- Place the mix into a food processor and blitz.
- Place the smooth mix back into the pan and simmer. Cook for one hour until thickened.
Top Tip: Transfer your cherry ketchup to a sterilised jam jar – you can keep this unopened for up to three months.