Cherry Good Chutneys and Sauces
Tart and Tasty Cherry Ketchup
Try this festive cherry ketchup to accompany your Christmas treats.
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 1.5 lb cherries
- ½ cup Cherry Good Original
- 2 tbsp whole mace blades (or 2 tsp ground mace)
- 1.5 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp dry yellow mustard
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- Combine the cherries and Cherry Good Original in a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over a medium-low heat and cook until the cherries soften, usually 8 to 10 minutes.
- Let the mixture cool slightly, before passing through a sieve to remove the skins and stones.
- Place back in the pan and add the spices, sugar and salt.
- Simmer over a low heat until reduced by half, which should take approximately 15 minutes. Make sure you regularly stir the mixture.
- Add the vinegar and keep cooking until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove a bit of the ketchup, and let it cool. Taste and adjust the salt, spices and vinegar until the flavour is sweet, spicy and tart.
Top Tip: The ketchup will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to two weeks.